Monday, August 18, 2008

Enabling Wired Network on Ubuntu

Ok, this is the first time I post about linux, and next time I'll be more focused on Ubuntu, since I think this is the easiest linux available on the market. I'm using Lenovo 3000 Y410.

The installation process was so simple (except for partition set up) that even your grandma can do it. Until the desktop completely loaded and I noticed something wrong. I launched Firefox, type in a URL, and hit return just to found sweet "Address not found" message. By instinct I flew to Network Manager, and configure it as static IP, Gateway, and DNS Server address, same configuration on my WinXP system. Still, I got "Network can not be reached" message when I attempted to ping the gateway.

After a minute of researching I found this link and do as described below on terminal (without $) :

$ lshw -C network
*-network
description: Network controller
product: PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
version: 61
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=iwl4965 latency=0 module=iwl4965
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:1e:xx:12:xx:xx
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.86 ip=192.168.1.xx latency=0 module=tg3 multicast=yes

and configur eth0, which is my ethernet logical name :

$ sudo ifconfig eth0 down
$ sudo dhclient -r eth0
$ sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 up
$ sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.xxx

Finally my firefox do its job normally once more...

No comments: